History of the Nottingham New Theatre
The Nottingham New Theatre is a playhouse and production company based on University Park campus, Nottingham, England. It is funded in part by the University of Nottingham Students’ Union and constitutes one of the Union’s Media Groups (alongside University Radio Nottingham, Nottingham Student Television Station, Impact Magazine, and TEC PA and Lighting).
It is the only entirely student-run theatre in England, with around 25 individual shows across two seasons per academic year, spanning 6 performances a week, to total around 100 live performances every year.
With a long and rich history, the Nottingham New Theatre has had a steady stream of members through its doors across many departments for the last 70 years.
1926 - Nottingham Student Players
Before the Nottingham New Theatre was Dramsoc, and before Dramsoc was Nottingham Student Players. Occasionally including staff alongside students, Nottingham Student Players put on drama and musicals, such as Aucassin and Nicolete (June 4-5th 1926).
1927 - Formation of Dramsoc
The University College Nottingham Dramatic Society (Dramsoc) performed its first play in 1928: A.A. Milne’s Mr Pim Passes By.
The society offered members an opportunity to read, discuss, produce and enact plays.
1940s - Formation of TEC
Previously The University of Nottingham Technical Executive Committee, and now TEC PA and Lighting, this group had oversight of a number of departments across the university and Students’ Union. The Stage Productions Department was responsible for lighting and sound in the student theatre.
The SPD Manager also served as Technical Director of Dramsoc, in addition to overseeing the electrics at the annual University Opera, performed in the Great Hall of Trent Building.
1945 - Earliest New Theatre Graduate
The earliest graduate in our records. Think you can beat that? Just drop us a line.
1958 - Nottingham's Everyman Club
Nottingham’s Everyman Club was formed in 1958, to encourage students and local people in the city, who were interested in theatre, to collaborate on productions. The club had some notable successes in the 1960s.
1960s - Golden Age of Dramsoc
The production of Coriolanus reached the finals of the National Student Drama Competition, while The Taming of the Shew enjoyed a week-long tour of Germany. The society also took George Bernard Shaw’s St Joan to the outdoor Minack Theatre in Cornwall.
1966 - Earliest 'New Theatre' Record
While not called the ‘New Theatre’, this is the earliest record of student theatre in Nottingham. At this time, members of the University of Nottingham Technical Committee were responsible for the technical areas of the student theatre.
1980s - Disbandment, and the Nottingham Theatre Group
While Dramsoc was disbanded, all was not lost for theatre at Nottingham. The Nottingham Theatre Group (while not receiving any financial support from the Students’ Union) was formed to present an annual revue at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
These shows were developed and previewed in New Theatre. NTG would typically rent a venue in Edinburgh and fit it out as a temporary theatre, sub-letting the space and equipment to other Fringe groups such as Durham Student Theatre or Bristol Revunions.
2001 - A New Foyer
Thanks to a gracious alumni donation, we were able to fund the construction of our foyer. This housed internal access to the Box Office, toilets, and bar. Its glass exterior created a fresh and open environment for all visitors.
2011 - UNCUT
Another season of shows allows for more opportunity, and the UNCUT Season—now Fringe—is just that. Providing a platform for experimental, new, or more intimate theatre, this season runs parallel to the In House season. The majority of initial performances were located outside of the Theatre.
2012 - Demolition of Archaeology
The New Theatre was, up till this point, housed within the department of Archaeology and Classics. Over the summer, the New Theatre became its own freestanding building—now a popular campus landmark. Among several other rooms the foyer was given a generous extension.
2012 - Studios A and B (and more rooms!)
Our small blackbox studios—used as rehearsal rooms, meeting spaces, performance venues, and occasional bar—were created.
The costume cupboard and props corridor were also refurbished, providing some long-needed new space.
Matthew Bannister also launched the Seat Dedication Appeal.
2012 - The Nottingham New Theatre
Following a members’ vote, The New Theatre became The Nottingham New Theatre, and a new logo was born. This change was made to better represent the theatre on the national stage.
2013 - Nottingham New Theatre meets Lakeside Arts
In the first of what would become an annual partnership, the students of New Theatre collaborated with the professional theatremakers at Lakeside Arts, another on-campus theatre, to perform Lysistrata.
2015 - STUFF
The first year of the STUdent Fringe Festival—STUFF—paved the way for future years. An Edinburgh preview event, including shows from external production companies, including Nottingham New Theatre alumni, all coming together to end the summer term on campus.
2016 - 50th Anniversary
The Nottingham New Theatre’s inaugural alumni dinner took place for the theatre’s 50th Anniversary. Over 100 alumni guests were welcomed to tours of the theatre spaces, followed by a formal dinner in the Great Hall and Senate Chamber.
2017 - Unscripted
Unscripted allows students of any and all experience to take part in the theatre life. With no auditions, the group produces a semi-devised piece. The first performance, held in February, was Camp MacBeth.